For those of you that don't know what a "mimi" is, it's Olivia's pacifier. She got the term from her cousin Mabry, and how she decided to call it that I'm not sure. But the point of this story is that it is no longer in her mouth.
The beginning of this story starts at 3 weeks old, when she fall in love with a green Soothie Pacifier. They dated exclusively for over a year. Then after that she tried a few other kinds, but for some reason she would always come back to that mimi. She loved it so much she was taking it everywhere. And then finally after she turned two, her father and I decided that their relationship may be becoming unhealthy. So we started limiting their time together to just naps and nighttime. It even had it's own home, a pink jewelry box, that it had to stay in when they were not aloud to be together. Then, these last couple of months she would say she wanted to take a nap in the middle of the morning just so she could be with it. Now as a parent, I know that if I let this go on too much longer Adam and I could be facing some serious problems down the road, so we were trying to come up with some ideas on ways of getting rid of the mimi. But then an opportunity presented itself to me. This last Tuesday, our friend Liz came over with her soon-to-be 5 month old son, Connor. When it was time for Connor to go home and to go to bed I asked Olivia if we should give Connor her mimi so that he would calm down and go to sleep for Liz. She surprisingly said yes, and ran and got her mimi and gave it to Connor. Now once Liz left and it was time for Olivia to go to bed, she of course asked for it. But I just reminded her that she had given it to Connor and that he had it at his house. So then she very calmly asked for the extra one. :) So smart! So trying to think quickly I told her that her other ones were gone and that Connor had the only one left. She whimpered and cried a little about that but eventually went to sleep on her own without her mimi. So it's been almost a week now, and every once in a while she will ask about her "mimi", but then she remembers, "Baby Connor has it. It's at his house."
So, so far it's going pretty good, and she is handling their separation better then I thought she would. After all, they had been together for over 2 years! I just hope she will handle all her breakups this well!
Here is some pictures of her over the years with her mimi.

2 comments:
Bye, bye Mimi. It was nice while it lasted, but lil' Olivia isn't dependent on you anymore.
No Mimi and no diapers will mean she is stepping into the next phase of her girlhood.
Love keeping current on your blog (great grandparents do, too.)
Love, Nana
LOVE that cute pictures with mimi. Way too Liv! :)
Post a Comment